Citibank is one of the biggest banks in the world. You would think they would have high standards in usability testing. Apparently not. In the last 5 minutes I have found 2 serious bugs in their web portal.
- I have 2 messages waiting from them. I click the message drop down box and click the second message. Unfortunately it instead shows me the first message. In order to get to the second message I have to hunt around for the button to “list all messages” on a different page, and then click on the second message.
- I tried to respond to a Citibank employee who was asking me what kind of checks I wanted. I wrote my response, but when I hit “send” it said “Can’t send the message. Don’t use any special characters, such as ampersand, slash, hyphen, etc.”. Well, I wasn’t using any of the characters they explicitly mentioned, so I must have been using one that falls under “etc.” So, I take out the dollar sign. Still doesn’t work. I take out the colon. Still doesn’t work. I take out the parentheses. This time it doesn’t complain, but instead tells me that there was an error and my message wasn’t sent.
Lessons for Citibank to learn:
- Test with more than 1 message before deploying to your tens of millions of users.
- Sanitizing your database input makes more sense than putting silly restrictions on what characters your tens of millions of users can put in a message.
- If you insist on having silly character restrictions on messages, at least tell your users clearly what those restrictions are.